Today This Week Mark All as Read Feeds

Cheering death of Osama Bin laden... (?)

Butch007 posted May 7 2011, 04:28 PM:

With Osama Bin Laden being dead now I was wondering what others thought of the whole cheering of the death of Osama Bin Laden? For me, I'm glad Justice has not passed him by, but I don't feel that cheering is appropriate. In general I believe that no one should be gunned down, BUT there are realities that dictate that once a person or group is pushed to the brink an equal or greater response is the only appropriate solution. So, again what do you guys think?
Post 1
Artician Moderator
djnido posted May 7 2011, 05:56 PM:
He got off easy. But my mindset is a little more aggressive than most peoples when it comes to retaliation. I guess instructors are calling it a 'tactical' mindset nowadays. But anywho I guess that's not what you were asking.

As far as people cheering his death I believe it's just fine. He's a horrible man who did horrible things. People around the world cheered as the USS Cole sat burning at a port in Yemen, as our Embassies were bombed, and after 3,000 INNOCENT lives were lost after the towers fell in New York City. Similar incidents befell multiple European nations over the years. If Western nations feel they want to cheer over the death of one man I feel they have EVERY right to. Did I take to the streets and cheer? No. Though I was glad we finally got him, I knew killing or capturing him was going to change nothing. My nation is still openly engaging in varied degrees of warfare in 3 different countries. I will cheer when our men and women have returned home.

As far as denouncing those celebrating? We have no right to. If you don't agree with celebrating the killing of another human being, monster or not, then fine. Don't do it. That is your opinion and and a very noble one. I will respect it.

--------------------
audio/visual artist -Artician Staff - old school.
Post 2
ryivhnn posted May 7 2011, 07:36 PM:
As long as the people currently manically celebrate don't then turn around and call it disgusting and babaric and inhumane if a leader they approve of gets assassinated and other people throw parties and dance in the streets.

--------------------
Everything is a matter of perception.

works at bekandloz || plays at technonaturalist
Post 3
Artician Developer
Akujin posted May 8 2011, 12:48 AM:
Would like to point out that Al-Qaeda is actually responsible for much more than 9/11.

--------------------
Artician Senior Web Development
http://akujin.artician.com
Post 4
Butch007 posted May 8 2011, 02:04 AM:
I don't have an issue with the actions taken to get Bin-Laden (even though I know that alive he would have been so much more valuable) I am aware of the many atrocities Al-Qaeda has been party to, but ultimately if the objective was to not be involved with any of this from the start why party and cheer now? (Usually when one doesn't want to be involved in something, but gets dragged in anyway the normal response at the end is not cheering, so obviously I have to wonder what is different about this particular situation.)
Post 5
hannesc posted May 8 2011, 11:14 PM:
No matter who it is, taking to the streets to cheer the death of a human being is barbaric, plain and simple.
Post 6
KeirsteaDesigns posted May 10 2011, 08:49 PM:
I don't see it as cheering his death. I see it as cheering a victory. It might not be the end of the war but it is a victory. I think that the same people would be celebrating if he was taken alive. Just knowing that we were able to bring him to some sort of justice was the reason to celebrate. And remember that after 10 long years, we did not forget about those who did on 9/11.
Post 7
n647 posted May 11 2011, 01:27 PM:
I agree with Butch007 and hennesc here, is good that they got him, but celebrating the death of another human, is not only barbaric, but also show how deep the sense of revenge is rooted on people, a revenge that lasted for 10 year, at the end try to clean blood with more blood, jsut dosn´t work that well.
Post 8
MoebiusTrip posted May 12 2011, 05:30 PM:
QUOTE(Butch007 @ May 7 2011, 03:28 PM) *

With Osama Bin Laden being dead now I was wondering what others thought of the whole cheering of the death of Osama Bin Laden? For me, I'm glad Justice has not passed him by, but I don't feel that cheering is appropriate. In general I believe that no one should be gunned down, BUT there are realities that dictate that once a person or group is pushed to the brink an equal or greater response is the only appropriate solution. So, again what do you guys think?

I didn't jump for joy when I heard the news, but I was mildly happy about it. Considering that bin Ladin & his organization caused the deaths of over 3,000 innocent Americans, I don't blame anyone else for cheering. The fact is, his death will make little difference in combating terrorism overall. It's not like every hard-core jihadist will say, "Oh damn. Usama bin Ladin is gone. What's the point now? Guess I'll sell my explosives on Ebay & go get a job at Home Depot..."
Post 9
MoebiusTrip posted May 15 2011, 03:32 PM:
All of you realize, of course, that while bin Ladin's death may be a victory for us, it's a minor one. It's just a matter of time until some other terrorist takes the spotlight & becomes Public Enemy # 1. Remember Abu Musab al-Zarqawi? There are plenty of guys out there who want to become the main celebrity of terrorism. I'll bet the next guy will have his own Facebook page.
Post 10

Bring your Friends!

FriendsEasily invite your friends to come join you on Artician, and when they sign up, they will be added to your friends list...

Upgrade your QuarkXpress 8 - or use Indesign 5 to animate your documents.

Enhance 3D objects with Adobe Creative Suite 5 - use Lightroom 3 for superior noise reduction